Leveraging Decades Of Experience To Protect Your Interests

Child Support Modification And Enforcement

A child support order is supposed to help the children maintain the standard of living they would have experienced if they lived with both parents. When the judge signed your order, it should have reflected your children’s best interests and each parent’s financial situation.

However, as the years have passed, circumstances may have changed, making the original order inappropriate. If you need to make a change to child support or if your co-parent is seeking one, our highly experienced family law attorneys are here to help.

At VanDerHeyden Law Office, P.A., we have helped Rochester’s parents deal with child support modifications since 1980. Our attorneys are also adept at helping you enforce an existing order to help prevent financial hardship for your kids.

When Is A Change Allowed?

Minnesota law permits modification of an existing child support order when a “substantial change” in the parents’ or children’s circumstances makes the current level of support unfair in some way. Things the family court will generally consider a substantial change include:

  • A minimum 20 percent change in the paying parent’s gross income, positive or negative.
  • A change in the number of joint children the support-paying spouse is supporting.
  • A significant change in child care costs.
  • One of the children becomes disabled.

The court will also generally approve a change if both parents agree. Our attorneys will work to negotiate a compromise that is practical for the parents and meets the children’s needs. If a settlement is not possible, they will represent you in court and present a detailed, persuasive argument for your position.

Firm Enforcement Representation

When a parent falls behind on child support, the children suffer the most. Our lawyers will guide you through the process of enforcing a child support order or defending yourself against an accusation of unpaid support. They will work diligently to prevent your kids from going without.

Find Out More About How We Help With Child Support Modifications

We offer free initial consultations on all child support matters. For an appointment with one of our lawyers, please call VanDerHeyden Law Office, P.A., at 866-586-7905 or send us an email.